FTP (File transfer protocol) is used to transfer files from one host to another. FTP client can be used to transfer files from the desktop to the remote server and vice versa. To login in to FTP client program like WS_FTP, you require the following details:
1) For WS_FTP program, select the “General” Tab.
2) Profile name: You can select this as: website
3) Host name/Address: It is the name of the FTP server. You can enter it as: ftp.domain.com. For Example: ftp.moreprocess.com
4) Host Type: Select it as “Automatic detect”.
5) User ID: This is the FTP user ID. You can get this from your webhost.
6) Password: This is the FTP password. You can get this from your webhost.
7) Account: You can leave this filed as blank.
8) Comment: You can leave this filed as blank.
9) Save Pwd: Check option for “Save Pwd” if you wish to save the password. This can be useful as you may have to login many times during multiple file transfers.
10) Click on “Apply”.
11) Click on “OK”.
12) On the left side of the window, you will see the “Local System” and on the right side is the “Remote Server”.
13) Select the top arrow to go to the desktop or wherever your file is located in Local System.
14) Select the folder public_html and go to the location where you wish the file to be transferred.
15) Select file from “Local System” and click on the right arrow -> if you wish to transfer file from computer to server.
16) Select file from “Remote System” and click on the left arrow <- if you wish to transfer file from server to computer.