Here are the steps to change the internet connection settings, local area network connection settings in Windows XP:
1) Click Start –> Control Panel –> Network and Internet Connections –> Network Connections
2) Right click on “Internet Connection” or “Local Area Connection”, for whichever you need to change the settings for. Say here, we are changing the “Local Area Connection” settings. Right click on “Local Area Connection” and click on “Properties”.
3) Connect Using: It is used to determine which modem should be used to connect to the internet.
4) To change configuration of modem click on “Configure”. After you have configured the modem, click on “OK”. Repeat the above given steps to reach to the “General” tab.
5) Select option “Show icon in notification area when connected” to show an icon at the right side of taskbar. This icon can be used to reach directly to the “Properties” pop up.
6) Check option “Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity” to get notified when the internet connection has limited or no connectivity.
7) If you wish to change name service provider and the network address for the RPC (Remote Procedure call), click on “Properties” next to “Uninstall button”.
8) To provide authenticated network access for Ethernet networks, to enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network, and to do other authentication related settings, select the “Authentication” tab.