Here are the steps to change, configure TCP/IP settings in Windows XP:
1) Click Start –> Control Panel –> Network and Internet Connections –> Network Connections
2) Right click on “Internet Connection” or “Local Area Connection”, for whichever you need to change the settings for. Say here, we are changing the “Local Area Connection” settings. Right click on “Local Area Connection” and click on “Properties”.
3) Double click on “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” under “This connection uses the following items:”.
4) Check option “Use the following IP address:” and enter the IP address, subnet mask and the default gateways as provided by your ISP.
5) Check the option “Use the following DNS server addresses:”. Enter Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server.
6) If you wish to configure the private IP address, click on “Alternate Configuration” tab.
7) For IP settings, DNS, WINS and other options, click on “Advanced” button.