Here are the types of user accounts in Windows 8:
1) Built-in administrator account: Windows 8 has a hidden built-in administrator account. It is different from an account with administrative privileges and it is not visible even to the account which has got the admin privileges. This account has all the super user privileges. However, it is not very much required for a home user. A network administrator can set up this account from Safe Mode.
2) Administrator account (User account with administrative privileges): This is the first user account which is created in your Windows 8 computer when you purchase it. It has all the privileges of an admin account like installing and removing programs, and files, adding more users, etc.
3) Local account: For a local account the user has to access the computer locally. The settings in the local account are not synced. The user has to be physically present in front of the particular computer to access it.
4) Standard account: A standard account is the one which can be used by a user to use software and change system settings that does not affect other users and the security of the computer.
To create a new user account, follow these steps:
i) Go to: Charms bar –> Settings –> Change PC Settings –> Users –> Other Users –> Add a user
ii) If you want this user to access your computer by using a Microsoft account, then, enter the email address and click on “Next”. If you don’t have an email address for the user for a Microsoft account, then, click on “Sign up for a new email address”. If you wish to add a local account then click on “Sign in without a Microsoft account” and then click on “Local Account”.
5) Microsoft account: By using a Microsoft account you can sync multiple computers. A user doesn’t need to have a local account on every computer. If he has a Microsoft account set up, he can login to that computer directly. Data and settings like history, favorites, etc. will be synced automatically to every computer. By using a Microsoft account you can also directly download apps from Windows Store. To use a Microsoft account you need to have a signed up email address. The email address can be of type: @outlook.com, or @hotmail.com or @live.com.
To create a Microsoft account in your Windows 8 PC:
i) Go to: Charms bar –> Settings –> Change PC Settings –> Users –> Switch to a Microsoft account.
ii) Enter your “Current password” and then click on “Next”.
iii) If you already have a Microsoft account enter the email address and click on “Next”. If you don’t have an email address click on “Sign up for a new email address”.
6) Guest Account: A guest account can be used by people to log in to your computer if they don’t have a local, or a Microsoft account. Limited privilege is provided to a guest account and they cannot cannot make any changes to the computer settings.
To create a guest account in Windows 8, follow these steps:
i) Go to: Settings –> Control Panel –> User Accounts and Family Safety –> User Accounts –> Manage another account.
ii) Click on “Guest Account is Off”.
iii) Click on “Turn On”.