Data can be stored in many formats by the registry value. Here are the registry value data types in Windows 8:
1) REG_BINARY: It is raw binary data which is displayed in registry editor in hexadecimal format. It is used by hardware.
2) REG_DWORD: It is a 32 bit number which can be displayed in Registry Editor in decimal format, binary format or hexadecimal format. It is used for storing device drivers and services.
3) REG_DWORD_LITTLE_ENDIAN: It is a 32 bit number in little-endian format. Used by Windows.
4) REG_DWORD_BIG_ENDIAN: It is a 32 bit number in big-endian format. Used by UNIX.
5) REG_EXPAND_SZ: It is a variable length null terminated string. Used mainly by application programs.
6) REG_MULTI_SZ: It is a multiple null terminated string. It contains sequence of sub strings.
7) REG_SZ: It is a fixed length null terminated text string. It can be ANSI string or Unicode string.
8) REG_LINK: It is a null terminated Unicode string. It contains path of symbolic link. It is never used by applications.
9) REG_NONE: It contains data with no defined data type.
10) REG_QWORD: It is a 64 bit number.
11) REG_QWORD_LITTLE_ENDIAN: It is a 64 bit number in little-endian format.
12) REG_RESOURCE_LIST: It is an array of lists. It contains resources for device driver.