Messaging is an in-built chat application in Windows 8. You can use Messaging for chatting online with your friends.
To set up set up Messaging app in Windows 8, follow these steps:
1) Go to: Charms bar –> Search
2) Type Messaging under Apps.
3) Click on “Messaging” icon on the left side.
4) Enter your registered Microsoft account email address and password. Click on “Save”.
5) If you don’t have an account with Microsoft click on “Sign up for a Microsoft account”. You will be redirected to the Microsoft website to set up a Microsoft account.
6) To set up status as Available or Invisible: In the Messaging App right click on the Account picture at the right side. In messaging taskbar, under “Status”, select “Available” or “Invisible”.
7) To send a message: Click on the “New Message” icon on the left side.
8) To invite a contact: In messaging taskbar, click on “Invite”. You will be redirected to Microsoft Live website. Enter the email address of the person you wish to invite and then click on “Next”. Then, click on “Invite”.
9) Connecting other social networking accounts: Click on the Account picture at the right side. Then, click on “Go to settings and connect your Facebook, Twitter and other accounts.” On the right side, click on any social networking icon to connect the account with Hotmail, Live, MSN, Facebook, Twitter, Outlook, Google, LinkedIn, and Sina Weibo.
10) To add another account: When Messaging app is opened, go to Charms bar –> Settings –> Accounts. Click on “Add an Account”.
11) To turn on/off messaging services: When Messaging app is opened, go to Charms bar –> Settings –> Options. Here you can turn messaging services to on or off.
12) To show/hide notifications and to run messaging app in background: When Messaging app is opened, go to Charms bar –> Settings –> Permissions. Under “Notifications”, you can turn it to on or off. Under “Lock screen” turn it on to run the messaging app in the background and to show quick status on Lock screen.
13) To change profile picture: The profile picture displayed in the Messaging app is the same as you have set up in the Microsoft account. To change the profile picture in Messaging, go to Microsoft live account in web. Click on Account name on the right side and then “Edit profile”. Then click on “Change picture” to change your account picture.