Media streaming can be used for sharing Windows Media player library in Windows 8. It allows you to send your music, pictures and videos to other computers and devices on your network. It also allows you to receive media from other computers and devices. To use media streaming you need to turn it on first:
1) Go to: Charms bar –> Settings -> Control Panel.
2) Type: media streaming in the Search field in Control panel (at the right side).
3) Click on “Media Streaming options” under “Network and Sharing center”.
Alternatively, you can also go to Media streaming options page by clicking on the drop down menu “Stream” in Windows Media Player and then click on “Turn on media streaming”.
4) Then, click on “Turn on media streaming”.
5) On the next page, you can name your media library. By default all devices are allowed to access your shared media. However, you can select specific devices under “Show devices on” to be allowed to access your shared media.
6) When you are done, click on “OK”.
In future if you wish to turn off media streaming, click on the “Block all” button in “Media streaming options” dialog box.
Note: Firewall settings are modified when you turn on media streaming. You should allow only the trusted networks to access your shared media.