Instead of a Start button (in previous versions of Windows), Windows 8 has a Start screen. When you install new programs or apps, tiles are collected in the Start screen automatically for easy navigation.
Here are the ways by which you can use live tiles and navigate between apps in Start screen:
1) To open the start screen: Start screen can be opened by any one of the following actions:
a) Simply tap on the Windows key in your keyboard.
b) Drag the mouse to the bottom left of the screen. After that an icon will appear. Click on that icon to reach the Start screen.
c) Press “Windows” key + “Tab” key. Start icon will appear at the bottom left corner. Click on the Start icon.
d) By using charms bar: To open the charms bar, place the mouse at the bottom right corner or the top right corner of the screen. Then select the third icon from the top “Start”.
2) To select an app: To select an app all you have to do is left click on the tile of the app once in the Start screen.
3) To move the apps: To move an app, left click and hold. After that you can drag the app and place it anywhere in the start screen.
4) To browse the tiles in Start screen: To browse the tiles simply use the mouse wheel. You can also browse the Start screen by dragging the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen.
5) Change account picture: You can also change the account picture form the Start screen in Windows 8. Click on the account icon at the top right side of the Start screen. Then, click on “Change account picture”.
6) Lock and Sign Out from Start screen: To lock or sign out, click on the account icon at the top right side of the Start screen. Then, click on “Lock”. or “Sign Out”.
7) To minimize the Start screen: Click on the minimize icon located at the bottom right corner of the Start screen in the navigation bar.
8) To view all apps at once: Right click anywhere in the empty space the Start screen. Then left click on “All Apps”icon on the bottom right corner.
9) For other options: Right click on any tile in the Start screen and you will get options like “Unpin from Start”, “Unpin from task bar”, “Uninstall”, “Open new Window”, “Run as administrator”, “Open file location”, “Smaller” or “Larger” icon for tile and “Turn Live Tile Off”.
10) To clear data in tiles: To clear live data in Start screen, go to: Start screen –> Charms bar –> Settings –> Tiles. Then, click on “Clear”.
11) To add administrative tools in Start Screen: To add administrative tools in Start Screen, go to: Start screen –> Charms bar –> Settings –> Tiles.Scroll the option to “Yes” for “Show administrative tools”.
12) To change the background and color of start screen: To change the background and color of start screen, go to: Charms bar –> Settings –>Change PC settings –> Personalize –> Start screen. Then, select the background and the color of the start screen from the below given options.