Automatic updates are very important for the overall security of your system. Many people are skeptical about turning on the automatic updates in Windows. As a matter of fact they shouldn’t be. Automatic updates are nothing but the security patches which are updated in your system and makes it more secure. An automatic update can never harm the computer, in fact it makes sure that there is no harm done from external agencies. So, the best rule of thumb is to always turn on the automatic updates in a Windows machine.
To turn on, off automatic updates in Windows 8, follow these steps:
1) Go to: Charms bar –> Settings –> Control Panel –> System and Security –> Windows Update
2) Then, click on “Change Settings” on the left side.
3) If you wish to turn on the automatic updates then, select “Install updates automatically(recommended)”.
4) If you wish to turn off the automatic updates then, select “Never check for updates(Not recommended)”.
5) You can also choose from options “Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.” or “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them”. These options are self explanatory.
6) You can also schedule the automatic updates. Click on “Updates will be automatically installed during the maintenance window”. Here you can set the time for updates under “Automatic Maintenance”.