Hardware problems are common and mostly they occur due to simple issues. If you face any hardware issues in your Windows 8 computer here are the steps to troubleshoot:
1) Step-1: Restart your system. Most of the times a simple restart of the system works for fixing almost any type of mysterious hardware errors.
2) Step-2: Disconnect the device and reconnect it to the computer. For Example, if your wired keyboard is not working, disconnect it from the USB port and then try to connect it. If you are using a wireless keyboard, try changing the batteries. Press on the “Connect button”. If it’s a wireless mouse make sure it is not turned off. Also, try connecting the USB dongle to a SuperSpeed USB port (USB 3.0) instead of a regular USB port (USB 2.0). SuperSpeed USB port will have a symbol like this:
3) Step-3: Automatic repair: Go to: Charms bar –> Settings –> Control Panel. Select “Small icons” from “View by” drop down menu at the right side. Click on “Troubleshooting”. Under “Hardware and Sound”, click on “Configure a device”. Click on “Advanced” and check option “Apply repairs automatically”. Click on “Next” Now, hardware devices in your computer will be scanned and repaired. If there’s a problem with any of the device, it will be detected and you will be notified of that in the dialog box.
4) Step-4: Troubleshooting by using Device Manager: Press Windows key + x. Click on “Device Manager”. If there is a problem with the installed driver for your hardware then it will be listed here. You can update the driver software for a device. For Example, if it is the keyboard, then, expand “Keyboards”. Right click on your keyboard device. For example, “HID keyboard device”. Click on “Update driver software”. You can also try uninstalling and re-installing it again.
5) Step-5: Restart your system again.
Hardware issues depends on the hardware in question. Make sure you read the hardware manual too if your device is properly connected. If the hardware in question still doesn’t work you might have to replace it.