Notification icons are displayed in the taskbar at the right side in Windows 8. Notifications for icons like “Network” and “Volume”, etc. are frequently used and can be set to displayed at all times. There are other notifications too which are not so much required every time and you can hide them.
Here’s the way to show and hide notification icons and to make other changes for notification icons:
1) Click on the “Show hidden icons” on the right side of the taskbar (which looks like):
and select “Customize” or Right click on the clock icon and then select “Customize notification icons”.
2) Now pick any icon as per your requirements and from the right side “Behaviors” select “Show Icon And Notifications”, or “Hide Icon And Notifications”, or “Only Show Notifications”.
3) You can select “Show Icon And Notifications” if you wish to display both the icon and the notifications in the taskbar.
4) You can select “Hide Icon And Notifications” for hiding both the icon and the notifications from the taskbar.
5) You can select “Only Show Notifications” if you wish to display only the notifications in the taskbar.
6) To show all the notification icons, just check the option at the bottom of the page “Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar” and then click on “OK”.
7) You can also remove a default system icon and remove notification for that particular icon. Click on “Turn system icons on or off” at the bottom of the page. Then turn “on” or “off” for any given system icon like “Clock”, “Volume”, “Network”, “Power”, “Action Center”, or “Input Indicator” and then click on “OK”.