To protect important operating system files and folders, Windows 8 marks them as super hidden. A super hidden file or folder is different from a regular hidden file. You can mark a file or a folder hidden by right clicking on it, then, click on “Properties”. Under “General” tab, select option “Hidden” under “Attributes”. Click on “Apply” and then “OK”. This will mark a file or folder as hidden. Now, to hide this file or folder, click on “View” menu at the top in File explorer window, check option “Hidden items”.
However, to create a super hidden file or folder you need to follow the below given steps:
1) Open command prompt: Press Windows key + R and type: cmd in Open field. Click on “OK”.
2) Now type command: attrib +s +h C:\Storage and hit Enter. s attribute is used for marking a system file and h attribute is for making it hidden. + (plus) sign is used for setting the attributes and – (minus) sign is used for removing the attributes. Here, C:\Storage is the absolute path of a folder “Storage” in C:
Now, in the C: even when the “Hidden items” check box is selected this folder is invisible and super hidden. If you wish to show this folder again, type command: attrib -s -h C:\Storage and hit Enter.
You can also show every super hidden files and folders automatically. To do this, follow the below given steps:
1) Go to Charms bar –> Search.
2) Type: regedit in Search under Apps.
3) Click on regedit icon on the left side. If you get a dialog box asking “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?”, click on “Yes”.
4) In the Registry Editor, go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER –> Software –> Microsoft –> Windows–> CurrentVersion –> Explorer –> Advanced
5) Right click on “ShowSuperHidden” on the right side and click on “Modify”.
6) Enter 1 in “Value data:” and click on “OK”.
7) When, you are done, close the Registry Editor.
Now, the Storage folder along with other system files and folders will be displayed in C: