In Windows 8 you can create an external recovery drive which can be used for fixing start up problems if they occur in future. When you buy a Windows 8 computer it is a good practice to create a recovery drive and set it aside. It can be used when your computer is no booting up.
To create a recovery drive in Windows 8, follow the below given steps:
1) Enter a USB flash drive or a hard drive which has at least 32 GB of free space. Also, when you are creating a recovery drive every other data in the drive will be deleted. So, make sure that you save the data of the drive before you use it.
2) Go to Charms bar –> Settings –> Control Panel
3) Select “Small icons” from “View by” drop down menu.
4) Click on “Recovery”.
5) Then, click on “Create a recovery drive”.
6) If you get a dialog box “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?”, click on “Yes”.
7) In “Recovery drive” dialog box make sure that option “Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive” is checked.
8) Click on “Next”.
9) Select the USB flash drive.
10) Click on “Next” and create the recovery drive.
To use this drive in future, you can start your computer using advanced start up option.