By default, in a Windows 8 computer, programs are installed in the directory: C:\Program Files and default directory for 64-bit installations is: C:\Program Files (x86). However, you can change these default directories as per your requirements.
To change default directory for installing programs in Windows 8, follow the below given steps:
1) Go to: Charms bar –> Search
2) Type: regedit under “Apps”.
3) Click on the regedit icon on the left side.
4) If you get a dialog box “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?”, click on “Yes”.
5) In Registry Editor, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> SOFTWARE –> Microsoft –> Windows –> CurrentVersion
6) Click on “CurrentVersion”. On the right side, you will see two values: ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir (x86)
7) Right click on “ProgramFilesDir” and click on “Modify”. In “Value data:” field enter the path of the directory where you want the programs to be installed as per your requirements. Click on “OK”.
8) Similarly, you can change the value of: ProgramFilesDir (x86)
9) Close the registry editor.
You have successfully changed the default directory for installing programs in Windows 8.