By default the Quick Launch toolbar is not displayed in Windows 8. However, if you wish to add Quick Launch toolbar in Windows 8, follow the below given steps:
1) Right click on anywhere in the taskbar where there is empty space and then, go to: Toolbars, and then, click on “New toolbar”.
2) In the Folder field, enter: %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
3) Click on “Select Folder”. This will add the Quick Launch toolbar on the right side of the taskbar.
4) Now, right click on anywhere in the taskbar where there is empty space and see if the taskbar is unlocked. If it is locked, click on “Lock the taskbar” to unlock it.
5) After that, you can drag the Quick Launch toolbar from the dots:
6) You can further customize the Quick Launch toolbar. Right click on Quick Launch and click on “Show Title”. This option can be used for displaying and hiding the Quick Launch Title. Then, click on “Show text” for displaying or hiding the text for the items in the Quick Launch toolbar.
7) When, you are done you can lock the taskbar again.
This process will create a neat looking Quick Launch toolbar in your taskbar: