Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is used for protecting your Windows computer from security threats, viruses and other malicious software. To know more about DEP, you can read this post which is for changing DEP settings in Windows 8. In this post, I will discuss the steps, for changing Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows 7:
1) Click on Start menu and then click on Control Panel.
2) Then, click on “System and Security”.
3) After that, click on “System”.
4) On the left panel, in the bottom, click on “Performance information and Tools”.
5) On the left panel, click on “Adjust Visual effects”.
6) In the “Performance options” dialog box, go to “Data Execution Prevention” tab.
7) Select option “Turn on DEP for essential programs and services only”. This option is default one and is recommended.
8) If you wish to add DEP for all programs, then select option “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:” and then enter the exception programs and services by clicking on “Add”.
When, you are done, click on “Apply” and then “OK”.