In Windows 7, apart from keyword search you can search for a file in Windows Explorer by using date modified, size, kind, and type filters. If you don’t remember the name of the file you are searching then, you can use the filters to search for a file in your computer.
To search a file in Windows Explorer using date modified, size, kind, type filters in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Click on Start menu and then, click on “Computer”.
2) You can search for the file in Computer or you can open a drive where you think the file may be. For Example, D:
3) Now, click on the Search field at the top right side, and then click on “Date Modified:”. Select a date or a date range in the calendar or you can also select the options: A long time ago, Earlier this year, Earlier this month, Last week, Earlier this week, or Yesterday.
4) To search for a file by using size, click on the Search field at the top right side, and then click on “Size:”. Here you can select the size of the file from the following: Empty (0 KB), Tiny (0 – 10 KB), Small (10 – 100 KB), Medium (100 KB – 1 MB), Large (1 – 16 MB), Huge (16 – 128 MB), Gigantic (> 128 MB).
5) To search for a file by using kind, click on the Search field at the top right side, and then type: kind and click on a kind of file from the following: Calendar, Communication, Contact, Document, E-mail, Feed, Folder, Game, Instant Message, Journal, Link, Movie, Music, Note, Picture, Program, Recorded TV, Saved search, Task, Video, or Web history.
6) To search for a file by using type, click on the Search field at the top right side, and then enter: Type =extension, where extension is the extension of the file you want to search. For Example, Type =.jpg