In this post, I will describe steps by using which you can index encrypted files, troubleshoot search and indexing problems, delete and rebuild index, set index location, include and exclude a file type extension from index, and add new file type extension for index in Windows 7.
To index encrypted files, delete, rebuild index, change file extension in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Click on Start button.
2) Then, click on Control Panel.
3) From “View By” drop down menu, select “Small Icons”.
4) After that, click on “Indexing Options”.
5) In “Indexing Options” dialog box, click on Advanced button.
6) In “Advanced Options” dialog box, go to “Index Settings” tab, and under “File Settings”,
i) Index encrypted files: Check this option to index encrypted files in your computer.
ii) Treat similar words with diacritics as different words: Diacritic mark is used for a word for pronunciation purposes. If you check this option, then a word with diacritic symbol will be treated as a different word and will be indexed accordingly.
7) Under Troubleshooting,
i) Delete and rebuild index: Click on the “Rebuild” button to delete the old index and create a new one.
ii) Troubleshoot search and indexing: You can click on this option to troubleshoot search and indexing problems in your computer.
8) To set index location, click on “Select New” and select new location for your index. Under “Current Location”, you can see the current location where index is saved.
9) Go to “File Types” tab,
i) To exclude a file type extension from index, uncheck the option for that particular file type extension.
ii) Under “How should this file be indexed?”,
a) Index Properties Only: If you select this option, then only properties will be indexed for a file type extension.
b) Index Properties and File Contents: If you select this option, then properties and file contents will be indexed for a file type extension.
iii) Add new extension to list: You can use this option for adding new extensions in the list. To add new extension, type the extension in the field and then click on “Add”.
10) When you have made the changes, click on “OK”.