This is a tutorial and a step by step guide to format a drive or volume from Disk Management in Windows 7. When you format a drive all the data in the drive will be deleted. You need to make sure that you create a backup for the drive before you format it.
To format a drive or volume from Disk Management in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Right click on Computer icon in your desktop and then click on Manage.
2) In Computer Management, click on Disk Management, under Storage.
3) Right click on the volume which you want to format and click on “Format”. For Example, here I am formatting drive H:
4) In format H: dialog box, enable the following settings:
i) Volume label: Enter a label for this volume.
ii) File System: Select the file system as FAT, FAT32 or NTFS.
iii) Allocation unit size: Select the allocation unit size. If you are not sure how to select this, then, select Default.
iv) Perform a quick format: Check this option to perform a quick format.
v) Enable file and folder compression: Check this option to enable file and folder compression.
Click on OK.
5) Click on OK for: Formatting this volume will erase all data on it. Back up any data you want to keep before formatting. Do you want to continue?
Drive H: is successfully formatted.