In this post I will describe steps by using which you can turn on Sticky keys and Toggle keys in Windows 7. You can enable Sticky keys in Windows 7 to press keyboard shortcut keys one by one. For Example, when you turn on the Sticky keys, instead of pressing Windows key + d together to minimize a Window, you can press first Windows key and after that press d key. Sticky keys can be used for any shortcut. Sticky keys feature is helpful for people who don’t want to press two or three keys together for the shortcuts.
To enable Sticky keys in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Click on Start button.
2) Then, click on Control Panel.
3) Select Large icons or small icons from View by drop down menu.
4) Click on Ease of Access Center.
5) After that, click on “Make the keyboard easier to use”.
6) Under “Make it easier to type”, click on “Set up Sticky Keys”.
7) Check option: Turn on Sticky Keys.
8) Check option “Turn on Sticky Keys when SHIFT is pressed five times. Now, when you press Shift key five times, you will get a dialog box to activate Sticky keys. You can click on “Yes” to activate Sticky keys.
9) Under “When using keyboard shortcuts to turn Ease of Access settings on”,
i) Check option “Display a warning message when turning a setting on” to enable Sticky keys dialog box when you press Shift key five times. You have to click on “Yes” to enable Sticky keys in your Windows 7 computer.
ii) Check option “Make a sound when turning a setting on or off” to play a tone when you enable or disable Sticky keys.
10) Under Options,
i) Check option “Lock modifier keys when pressed twice in a row” to lock modifier keys. For Example, when Sticky keys are on and if you press any modifier key like Windows key two times then the Windows key will be locked. Now, to minimize your computer all you need to do is to press d button (as Windows key is already locked).
ii) Check option “Turn off Sticky keys when two keys are pressed at once” to enable option to turn off Sticky keys when you press any two keys together.
11) Under Feedback,
i) Check option “Play a sound when modifier keys are pressed” to play a sound when you press Shift key, Ctrl key, Alt key or Windows key.
ii) Check option “Display the Sticky keys icon on the taskbar” to show Sticky keys icon on taskbar when Sticky keys are activated.
12) Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
13) Then, make sure that option “Turn on Sticky keys” is checked in “Make the keyboard easier to use” page. Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
To enable Toggle keys, check option “Turn on Toggle keys”. When you enable toggle keys, you will hear a sound when you press Num Lock key, Caps Lock key and Scroll Lock key. Check option “Turn on Toggle keys by holding down the NUM LOCK key for five seconds” to enable Toggle keys anytime in your computer by pressing and holding down Num Lock key for five seconds. Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.