In Windows 7, you can enable Mouse keys feature to use numeric keypad or numpad in your keyboard to move mouse pointer on the screen. Also, you can do regular actions which you can do by using your mouse like left click, right-click, double-click, drag and drop an object by using different keys in the numeric keypad. This feature is specifically useful when your mouse is not working at the moment and you want to use your keyboard exactly like a mouse.
To enable mouse keys and move mouse pointer using keyboard in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Click on Start button.
2) Then, click on Control Panel.
3) Select Large icons or small icons from View by drop down menu.
4) Click on Ease of Access Center.
5) After that, click on “Make the keyboard easier to use”.
6) Under “Control the mouse with keyboard”, click on “Set up Mouse Keys”.
7) Check option: Turn on Mouse Keys.
8) Under Keyboard shortcut, check option “Turn on Mouse Keys with left Alt + left Shift + NUM Lock” to turn on mouse key feature using these key combinations.
Under “When using keyboard shortcuts to turn Ease of Access settings on”,
i) Check option “Display a warning message when turning a setting on” to enable Mouse keys dialog box when you press left Alt + left Shift + NUM Lock. You have to click on “Yes” to enable Mouse keys in your Windows 7 computer.
ii) Check option “Make a sound when turning a setting on or off” to play a tone when you enable or disable mouse keys.
9) Under pointer speed you can select the speed and the acceleration for the mouse movement.
10) Check option “Hold down Ctrl to speed up and Shift to slow down” to control the mouse movement speed.
11) Under Other settings, enable or disable option to use Mouse keys when Num Lock is on or off.
12) Check option “Display the mouse keys icon on the taskbar” to display mouse keys icon on taskbar.
13) Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
14) Then, make sure that option “Turn on Mouse keys” is checked in “Make the keyboard easier to use” page. Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
For mouse movements:
i) To move the mouse you can use keys 1,2,3,4,6,7,8 and 9 in respective directions in the numeric keypad.
ii) To left click on an object, press forward slash (/) and then 5 in the numeric keypad.
iii) To right-click on an object, press minus button (-) and then 5 in the numeric keypad.
iv) To double-click on an object, press forward slash (/) and then plus (+) button in the numeric keypad.
v) To drag an object, point to the object, press 0 and drag the object in any direction as per your choice.
vi) To drop an object, point to the location where you want to drop the object, and press decimal (.) button.