Whenever you connect an external device to your Windows 7 computer like a USB device or a hard disk drive, the Windows computer automatically downloads the necessary driver software for that particular device. This is a recommended setting as you just have to plug-in the device in your computer and make it work automatically. However, if you want to disable this feature in your Windows 7 computer, then you have the option to do that.
To disable automatic download of device driver software in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Click on Start menu and then click on Control Panel.
2) Then, go to: System and Security –> System.
3) Click on “Advanced System Settings” on the left side.
4) In “System Properties” dialog box, go to “Hardware” tab.
5) Click on “Device Installation Settings” button.
6) In “Device Installation Settings” dialog box, under “Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icon for your devices?”, select option “No, let me choose what to do”
7) You will have three options:
i) Always install the best driver software from Windows update.
ii) Install driver software from Windows update if it is not found on my computer.
iii) Never install driver software from Windows update.
You can pick any of the above option as per your requirements. These options are self-explanatory. You can also check or un-check option “Replace generic device icons with enhanced icons”.
8) Click on “Save Changes”.