In this post I have created a step by step guide to create a virtual hard disk (VHD) in Windows 7. A virtual hard drive behaves like a regular hard drive where you can create partitions and volumes. Also, after creating a virtual hard drive, I have added steps to initialize the virtual hard drive and to create new volume in the virtual hard disk.
To create a virtual hard disk (VHD) in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Right click on Computer icon in your desktop and then click on Manage.
2) In Computer Management, click on Disk Management, under Storage.
3) On the right side click on “More Actions” and then click on “Create VHD”.
4) In “Create and Attach Virtual Hard Disk” dialog box, click on “Browse” and enter the location of virtual hard drive. You can enter the size of the virtual hard drive in MB, GB or in TB.
Virtual Hard disk format: You can create the virtual hard disk in any one of the following formats:
i) Dynamically expanding: Select this format if you want the size of the VHD to be dynamically expanding to a maximum size.
ii) Fixed size: Select this format if you want the size of the VHD to be fixed.
Click on OK.
5) Now, the virtual hard disk will be created. Here, Disk 2 is the virtual hard disk.
6) Now, right-click on the virtual hard disk and click on Initialize disk. In Initialize disk dialog box, select the partition style: MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table). To use GPT partition style you need to make sure that the virtual hard disk size is greater than 2 TB.
Click on OK.
7) After that, on Disk 2, right-click on the unallocated space and click on New Simple Volume. This will start the New Simple Volume Wizard. Click on Next.
8) In New Simple Volume Wizard, enter the simple volume size in MB. Click on Next.
9) Then, assign a drive letter to the new volume. Click on Next.
10) To store data in this volume, you need to format this volume. Check option “Format this volume with the following settings”.
i) File System: Select the file system as FAT, FAT32 or NTFS.
ii) Allocation unit size: Select the allocation unit size. If you are not sure how to select this, then, select Default.
iii) Volume label: Enter a label for this volume.
iv) Perform a quick format: Check this option to perform a quick format.
v) Enable file and folder compression: Check this option to enable file and folder compression.
Click on Next.
11) After that, click on Finish. New volume will be created in virtual hard disk.