Windows Defender is a free anti-spyware program which comes with Windows 7. You can enable Windows Defender to protect your Windows 7 computer against spyware, malicious software and other unwanted software. In this post, I have created a step by step guide to change settings for Automatic Scanning, default actions, real-time protection, exclude files, folders and file types, scan archive files, emails, and removable drives and to create restore point in Windows Defender.
To change settings, options of Windows Defender in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Click on Start button.
2) Then, click on Control Panel.
3) Select Large icons or small icons from View by drop down menu.
4) Then, click on “Windows Defender”.
5) In Windows Defender, click on Home menu at the top to see the status of the application.
6) To scan you computer click on the Scan button. You can run a Quick Scan, Full Scan or a Custom Scan.
7) Click on the History button to check action taken by Windows Defender against malicious software.
8) Click on Tools and then click on Options under “Settings”.
9) Click on Automatic Scanning on the left side.
i) Check option “Automatically scan my computer (recommended)”. Select the Frequency of scanning, Time of scanning and Scan Type from the drop down menus.
ii) Check option “Check for updated definitions before scanning” for checking updated definitions before starting the scan.
iii) Check option “Run a scan only when system is idle” to run a scan only when your computer is idle.
Click on Save.
10) Click on Default actions on the left side. Here you can select options “Remove”, “Quarantine” “Allow” and “Recommended action based on definitions” for “Severe alert items”, “High alert items”, “Medium alert items”, and “Low alert items”. You can change these settings as per your requirements. If you are unsure about a setting, then, select, option: Recommended action based on definitions. Click on Save.
11) Click on Real-time protection on the left side.
i) Check option “Use real-time protection (recommended)”. This will make sure that your computer is protected against spyware and other unwanted software in real-time.
ii) Check option “Scan downloaded files and attachments” to scan downloaded files and attachments.
iii) Check option “Scan programs that run on my computer” to scan all programs which run on your computer.
Click on Save.
12) Click on Excluded files and folders on the left side to add files or folders which you don’t want to be scanned by Windows Defender.
13) Click on Excluded file types on the left side to add file types which you don’t want to be scanned by Windows Defender.
14) Click on Advanced on the left side.
i) Check option “Scan archive files” to scan for spyware, malicious software and other unwanted software in archive files like .zip files.
ii) Check option “Scan email” to scan for spyware, malicious software and other unwanted software in emails and attachments in emails.
iii) Check option “Scan removable drives” to scan for spyware, malicious software and other unwanted software in removable drives like USB drive and other external
iv) Check option “Use heuristics” to scan for spyware, malicious software and other unwanted software in your computer by matching existing definitions.
v) Check option “Create restore point” to create a restore point in your computer before Windows Defender applies any actions.
15) Click on Administrator on the left side.
i) Check option “Use this program” to alert all users of your computer if spyware, malicious software or any other unwanted software is found in your computer.
ii) Check option “Display items from all users of this computer” to show Allowed items, History and Quarantined items from all the users of your computer.
When you are done, click on Save.