In this post, I will describe steps by which you can change Disk defragmenter schedule in Windows 7. By default, Disk defragmenter runs on every Wednesday at 01:00 hours. However, you can change this setting. Also, you can enable or disable automatic disk defragmentation for your drives and volumes. Disk defragmenter utility is useful for defragmenting disks and it improves the overall performance of your computer.
To change Disk defragmenter schedule and disable automatic defragmentation in Windows 7, follow the below given steps:
1) Click on Start.
2) Then, click on Computer.
3) Under Hard Disk Drives, right-click on any drive and then click on Properties.
4) In Local Disk Properties dialog box, go to Tools tab. Then, click on “Defragment Now” button under Defragmentation.
5) In Disk Defragmenter dialog box, click on Configure Schedule button under “Schedule”.
6) In Disk Defragmenter: Modify Schedule dialog box,
i) Check option “Run a schedule (recommended)” to enable automatic Disk defragmentation for drives. You can uncheck this option and click on OK to turn off automatic Disk defragmentation.
ii) Frequency: Select the frequency of the defragmentation: Daily, Weekly or Monthly.
iii) Day: Select a day for the defragmentation.
iv) Time: Select the time for the defragmentation.
v) Disks: Click on the Select Disks button. In Disk Defragmenter: Select Disks for Schedule dialog box, select the disks which you want to include in the schedule. Check option “Automatically defragment new disks” to apply these settings for a new disk or a volume. Click on OK.
Click on OK in Disk Defragmenter: Modify Schedule dialog box.
7) To scan a disk, click on a disk under Current Status and then click on “Analyze Disk”.
8) To degragment a disk now, click on a disk under Current Status and then click on “Defragment Disk”