Below given are the functions, features and properties of SQL:
1) Database programming language: SQL commands are used for accessing data in a database.
2) Database administration language by defining data: A user can define structure of stored data.
3) Relationship between stored data: User can also establish relationship between stored data item.
4) Manipulation of data: By using SQL, a user or a program can add, remove and modify data.
5) Sharing of data: By using SQL, data can be shared among users.
6) Access control of data: By using SQL, access control can be set up for data. A user can be restricted to add, remove and modify data.
7) Protection of data: By using SQL, data can be protected from system failures.
8) Interactive query language by retrieving data: SQL is used to retrieve data from a database and return it to a user or a program.
9) Client/ Server language: SQL is used for communication with database servers.
10) Internet database language: SQL is used throughout internet for accessing databases through web servers.
11) Distributed database language: SQL is used in distributed DBMS systems for communicating with other systems for accessing data.
12) Database gateway language: SQL is used for communicating between different DBMS.