To make your computer safe from viruses, worms and other malwares it is required to install an antivirus program or internet security software. In this article I will discuss how an antivirus program or an internet security software works and what are its advantages. Here are the tasks performed by antivirus program, internet security software:
1) Virus scan: All antivirus programs and internet security software have a database of all possible viruses, worms and malwares. There are separate databases for file, mail, web, instant messaging, and other types of malicious programs. When an antivirus program is installed in the computer the first task of the program is to scan the entire system. Every executable files is matched with the items in the database and if a match is found it is either deleted or quarantined.
2) Integrity check: After the initial scan of a system the antivirus software calculates a check sum for every executable file and then encrypts it and puts it in a directory. After the initial scan even if any malicious software is not found, the antivirus program schedules another scan. The next scan will calculate the check sum and will match with the earlier one. This way, if there’s a malicious software, it will be found very easily. Scheduled scans keeps going on in the background and keeps your computer safe.
3) Behavior check: Antivirus programs and internet security software keeps working in the background and keeps checking the current tasks performed in the computer. When they find something fishy going on they start investigating to check if it is the activity of a malware.
4) Network monitor: Incoming network traffic is monitored in real time to make sure that there isn’t any attacks from other computers. If the antivirus programs finds that the computer is getting attacked from an outside source then, that traffic is immediately blocked.
5) Firewall: Antivirus program and internet security software also provides firewall functionality.
6) Phishing check: Antivirus programs have anti phishing capabilities. They have a database for phishing sites. An antivirus program will stop you from entering a fake website.
7) Blocking banners: You can use your antivirus program or internet security software to block advertisement banners on sites.
8) Keeping your credit card details and banking information safe: Antivirus software uses various techniques to make sure that your credit card details and internet banking information is safe.
9) Virtual keyboards: For logging in to a website you can use a virtual keyboard. This process is more secure as it eliminates the possibility of key logging.
10) Parental control: By using parental control tool, you can make sure that your children are accessing only the websites which are suitable to them.